Brewer Fieldhouse

Primary tabs

1929 - Construction of Brewer Fieldhouse
Construction of Brewer Fieldhouse began in 1929, but the facility was not declared open until the following year. Compared to the modern Hearnes Center--which cost $10.5 million to build--Brewer only cost $225,000. Rough stone walls bordered the building, the floor consisted of dirt, and sounds echoed back from the wooden roofs. The building, though, was one of the best back in 1929., Savitar, 1930. page 121.
1930 - Basketball inside Brewer Fieldhouse
Brewer-Fieldhouse was named after Chester L. Brewer, a football, baseball, and basketball coach for Missouri in the early 20th century. In 1923, Brewer became the Director of Athletics at the University, and his past with Mizzou athletics brought a lot of vitality to the campus. The field house joined Rothwell Gymnasium and extended into Rollins Field, and the complex allowed basketball and track teams to practice during times of the year when they originally could not. The structure protected athletes from cold weather and rain, and ability to train during these cases pushed Mizzou to a new era of athletics., Savitar, 1930. page 141.
1930 - Track at Brewer Fieldhouse
The opening of Brewer Fieldhouse allowed runners to practice regardless of weather. Different teams--track, football, basketball--shared the Field House according to the seasons of the year. With the addition of the field house, the track team season started at the end of the football season, continuing to the end of school. In years before, however, all the athletes could do before warm weather was maintain their condition. The extra practice was a deciding factor in many meets., Savitar, 1930. page 141.
1972 - Brewer Fieldhouse renovations
Savitar, 1975. page 165.
1973 - Retiring Brewer Fieldhouse
In 1929, Brewer was one of the finest facilities in the Midwest and the Big Six conference. But the building grew old and was replaced by the $10.5 million Hearnes Center. In the late 60's, upon construction of the Hearnes Complex, Brewer Fieldhouse ceased in activity significantly. The basketball team no longer played on Fieldhouse's wooden court, switching to Hearne's tartan floor in 1972. But rather than tear Brewer-Fieldhouse down, funds were dedicated to it. New courts, tracks, and locker rooms were planned. Brewer-Fieldhouse would reopen in 1975., Savitar, 1973. page 118.